Our History
Established in 1817 by silversmith John Abbott, this jewelry business has been in continuous operation under five successors:
John W. Abbott | 1817 - 1850
Charles T. Emery| 1850 - 1868
Hutchinson & Connell| 1868 - 1876
John H. Hutchinson| 1876 – 1902
Arthur B. Duncan Company| 1902 – 1971
Albert E. Alie Company| 1971 – Present
After 76 years of operation, this business relocated in 1893 from 10 Market Square to the larger One Market Street location, where it has flourished ever since. In 1971 R. Normand Alie and his brother Leo -- of the Dover jewelry firm established by their father Albert E. Alie in 1914 -- became the sixth successive owners of this Portsmouth business. Today the Alie family -- long known for quality, value and integrity -- continues the 209-year-long (and counting) tradition of bringing brightness to Portsmouth’s historic Market Square.
